chiesa di sant'andrea di treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer
COOKIE POLICY
distanziatorea
PRIVACY
distanziatorea

 
THE CHIESA DI SANT’ANDREA (CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW), Piazza Sant’Andrea - Treviso
 
The Chiesa di Sant’Andrea (Church of St. Andrew) is situated in front of Palazzo Azzoni - Avogadro on the namesake rise where, according to history, the first human settlement was born. The development of Treviso began from here because it was in a strategic position: it was higher than the rest of the town and it was near the river Sile.
   

The Chiesa di Sant’Andrea (Church of St. Andrew) was born before 11th century when the bishop gave Chapter it; after some centuries, in 1780, the building was reared again in neoclassic style by Trevisan architect Giordano Riccati (1709 - 1790).

In 1834 and 1835 side naves were added, they were made by Francesco Zambon’s project and direction.
The building of the naves had become necessary because the parishes of St. Giovanni di Riva, St. Pancrazio and St. Leonardo were eliminated by Napoleonic decrees of 1806 and they were joined to Chiesa Sant’Andrea (Church of St. Andrew).

antonio nani's engraving chiesa sant’andrea - church of st. andrew
The Chiesa di Sant’Andrea in Treviso
Antonio Nani’s engraving
(Biblioteca Comunale di Treviso)
   

The Church of St. Andrew, as many other churches in Treviso (Chiesa di San Vito - Church of St. Vito - and Chiesa di Santa Lucia - Church of St. Lucy, for example), was the seat of a school: the School of "Marangoni" (woodworkers) at the end of 16th century.

Today the fašade of the church has a central body higher than side naves, these naves, bordered by pilasters, were added some years after, when the main body of the church was raised already; the fašade is divided in 3 parts, emphasized by 4 columns which have high basements and at the top the composite capitals supporting a pediment with a quadrilobate hole.

   
photos about chiesa sant’andrea - church of st. andrew
distanziatore

On the back there is the campanile, which would seem to be built before the church; this campanile has been restored late, it has a particular and unusual shape with an octagonal base of crowning of its belfry.

With the restoration of church and campanile the roof of the church was repaired and the old and battered plasters were replaced by others very similar to original plasters. Indoor the church we may see some frescoes by C. Donati, these frescoes were restored by G. Borsato after the bombings which damaged very much Treviso in the Second World War. The ancona, situated on main altar, was painted by Bevilacqua in the first years of the 19th century.

On the left: the Chiesa di Sant’Andrea (Church of St. Andrew) today.