chiesa di san gaetano
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
COOKIE POLICY
distanziatorea
PRIVACY
distanziatorea

 
THE CHIESA DI SAN GAETANO (CHURCH OF ST. GAETANO), Via Carlo Alberto - Treviso
 
The Chiesa di San Gaetano (Church of St. Gaetano) is situated in the centre of Treviso in Via Carlo Alberto.
It was raised in the beginning of 13th century together the hospice; the apse and some Romanesque frescoes are the only demonstrations of old building near the bell tower.
 
antonio nani's engraving chiesa san gaetano st.
The Chiesa di San Gaetano - 1846
Antonio Nani's engraving
(Biblioteca Comunale di Treviso)

In the beginning of the 14th century the Pope Clemente V issued an official Papal bull which abolished the Templar order, thus the Church was confiscated by Gerosolimitani friars (monastic and knightly order, today known as "Knights of Malta") who called it "St. Giovanni al tempio".

In the beginning of the 16th century the Chiesa di San Gaetano (Church of St. Gaetano) was renovated profoundly how it is written on a tablet placed on main door. This renovation, wanted by the prior Ludovico Marcello, allowed the Church to keep fit until today. During the church history, the cult and the name, which were celebrate in it, changed from original "St. Battista del Tempio" to the present name "St. Gaetano from Thiene" out of regard for the Saint from Vicenza.

 
There are other demonstrations of old building also, one among the smallest churches in Treviso; they may be seen when we look at the semicircular plan of bell tower, the small hanging arches and the trabeation of South fašade (made by Giacomo from Lago di Como in 1504).
An ornamental frescoed frieze and an image of the Christ Child’s baptism, placed on the tympan, adorn the South fašade.
 

In 1509 the Church was renovated by the master Antonio Maria from Milano.
In the half of 1700 a second restructuring concerned the church, the original Gothic look gave up one’s seat to today look with it: today the church has many paintings bordered by stucco cornices.

In 1770 an organ (with 23 pipes) was placed in the church, this organ was made by Gaetano Callido from Venice, after it was modified by the organ maker Tolfo from San Vito al Tagliamento.
He replaced some pipes of organ causing essential modifications to its sound.

After some centuries, in 1993, the organ was restored by the organ maker Francesco Zuin from Codroipo who restored it and thus the organ recovered its original sound.

photos chiesa san gaetano st.
The Chiesa di San Gaetano today