cathedral in treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
PESCHERIA
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorema
CAR PARKS
distanziatoremb
distanziatoren
distanziatoreme
IMAGES
distanziatoremc
distanziatoreo
distanziatoremf
REPORT THIS URL
distanziatoremf
distanziatorep
distanziatorebis
CONTACTS
distanziatoremg
distanziatoreq
distanziatoremi
DISCLAIMER
distanziatoremh
distanziatorer
COOKIE POLICY
distanziatorea
PRIVACY
distanziatorea

 
THE DUOMO (CATHEDRAL) IN TREVISO, Piazza Duomo
 
The crypt is the most important historical references of Duomo (Cathedral) of Treviso; in the 12th century there was already a religious building on it, it had a Romanesque style in the beginning. The capitals of the columns supporting the cross vaults show that it had been used stone material perhaps Lombard.
   

The highest complex has three naves and its space developed more towards width and length than towards height as it often happened in the Romanesque building. From 15th to 16th century the Cathedral was restored: a portico with cross vaults replaced the old portico with column-bearing lions.

Only in 1836 we may see modified the whole system of the Duomo (Cathedral) into neoclassical style of other contemporary houses by Giordano Riccati.
In the first half of the 19th century the Bishop’s Palace, which was the next building, was dilapidated; thus the temporary residence became a new edifice in Piazza Pola: in 1490 Palazzo Pola was raised in this square by Pietro Lombardo’s project.

photos painting duomo coghetto cathedral
The Duomo and the Bishop’s Palace in Treviso by Medoro Coghetto (1707-1793) Treviso, Museo Civico L. Bailo
   
Today the main fašade of Duomo (Cathedral) is ornamented by a wide staircase open on three sides erecting a pronaos with six Ionic columns.
Indoors we may see a system made by three naves, which are divided by strong composite pillars supporting barrel vaults and domes alternatively. The apsidal portion rises above the remaining floor of the Church by several steps and it is superimposed upon the crypt.
The presbytery gathers up the main altar dedicated to Saints Tabra, Tabrata, Teonisto, Tullio Lombardo’s works.
   
photos fast duomo cathedral
Treviso, Piazza Duomo, ante 1910, FAST -
Foto Archivio Storico Trevigiano, Fondo
Fini, n. immagine: F 88
photos duomo treviso
Treviso, Piazza Duomo - today
 
The left chapel preserves some sculptures by Bregno and the works by Francesco Bassano and Antonio Zanchi located just beyond the "Redentore" by Pennacchi.
We may see some paintings by Domenico Capriolo, by Girolamo D’Aviano, by Paris Bordone and by Pomponio Amalteo in the right chapel. The main work of art is the "Annuciazione" by Tiziano in this chapel, located in the background, while there is an "Adorazione dei magi" by Pordenone on the wall of the left side.
   
photos printing treviso - 1853
Duomo of Treviso - 1853
View from the south of the one dome.
photos domes duomo chatedral
Duomo of Treviso today. View from the south-west of the domes
   
Between 1930 and 1935 the domes of the Duomo (Cathedral) were cleared by walls, by timber roofing and by curved tiles and they were covered by some copper plates; a lantern was located on the top of every dome thus they took on the current look.