chiesa di sant'agostino in treviso
distanziatorea HOME distanziatoreb TREVISO ACCOMMODATIONS distanziatorev RESTAURANTS distanziatorew SHOPPING distanziatorer TREVISO MAP distanziatoreet IMAGES / PHOTOS distanziatorej I . V. distanziatoreyte italian version distanziatorelk

GETTING THERE
distanziatorea
TREVISO MUSEUMS
distanziatoreb
HISTORIC BUILDINGS
distanziatorec
WALLS AND GATES
distanziatored
TREVISO HISTORY
distanziatoree
CHURCHES
distanziatoref
UNIVERSITY
distanziatoreg
TREVISO EVENTS
distanziatoreh
ACCOMMODATIONS
distanziatorei
WINE BARS
distanziatorel
PHONE NUMBERS
distanziatorem
distanziatorex
CAR PARKS
dist12
distanziatoren
dist
IMAGES
dist1
distanziatoreo
dist2
REPORT THIS URL
dist3
distanziatorep
dist5
CONTACTS
dist4
distanziatoreq
COOKIE POLICY
distanziatorea
PRIVACY
distanziatorea
dist9  
THE CHIESA DI SANT’AGOSTINO (CHURCH OF ST. AUGUSTINE), Via Sant’Agostino - Treviso
 
The Chiesa di Sant’Agostino (Church of St. Augustine) is the unique example of sacred building in Treviso which has a elliptic plan; in the middle of 18th century the edification of this church began and it ended in 1758 by the design of the friar Francesco Vecellio.
   
antonio nani's engraving chiesa di sant’agostino st. augustine
Chiesa di Sant’Agostino - 1846
Antonio Nani’s engraving
(Biblioteca Comunale di Treviso)
dist10 The new church was built where once there was the first church, which had a rectangular plan. Today there are still some evidences of the old church, among these we may remember that of Nicol˛ Cima who described it as a building with three naves perhaps the statuette of St. Antonio (which it is possible to see on the fašade today) belonged to this old Church.
The Church of St. Augustine, as other churches in Treviso (for example the Chiesa di San Vito - Church of St. Vito -, the Chiesa di Santa Lucia - Church of St. Lucy - and the Chiesa di Sant’Andrea - Church of St. Andrew), was the seat of a school: the School of Cobblers.
   
The walls and the ceiling are adorned by stuccos and inlaid marbles inside the Church.
The walls, the marble objects and the furniture are original but many old objects were took there from other religious buildings under the Napoleonic decrees of 1806. The Chiesa di Sant’Agostino (Church of St. Augustine) succeeded in avoiding the Napoleonic decrees but it was degraded to vicarious church.
 
Indoor the Church of St. Augustine there are a lot of admirable masterworks: when we go in from main entrance we may see two frescoes representing the ’Flagellazione’ (scourging) and the St. Sebastiano, both frescoes are made in 14th and 15th century.
On the left in a little cavity we may be impressed by the ’Madonna della cintura’ which, as statues of St. Augustine and his mother St. Monica, comes from Church of St. Margherita.
We may see two anconas: the first made by Ludovico Pozzoserrato is located on right altar; it represents St. Aniano, who is patron of Scuola dei ’Calegheri’ (Cobblers’ School), the Saint is represented while he is repairing a shoe and St. Mark, St. Julian and the Madonna are looking at him.
dist11
chiesa di sant’agostino's st. augustine photos

Chiesa di Sant’Agostino today
 
The second ancona is by Antonio Marinetti, called "il Chioggiotto"; it is placed on the main altar and it is representing the Madonna and St. Augustine while they are giving the rule of Somaschi priests congregation to St. Girolamo Emiliani, who made this congregation.
It is possible to admire the works by Carlo Loth, by Marinetti and by Maggiotto.